Thursday, November 06, 2008

My new job

I started my new job this week at Target. Monday i trained on the registers. It was scary at first, but i quickly got the hang of it. Did you know that lip balm is a chemical and should NOT be placed in a bag with food! It should go with non food items instead......

Tuesday i trained on the sales floor in electronics/toys/housewares/sporting goods. (BIG dept) I arrived at 5 and was taken to meet my trainer. He just happened to be going to lunch at 5, so another guy gave me a scanner and gave me a quick rundown of how to use it. Then he gave me a shopping cart full of stuff to re-shop. Then he disappeared and i never saw him again until much later. When my trainer got back from lunch i showed him the things i couldn't find. We just kept working on carts until everything was put away. Then we had to zone (clean) our dept. Not too bad but it will be crazy at Christmas time!
One really freaky thing i learned in the toy dept is about these cute little baby dolls...
The shelves are full of these cute baby dolls. When you walk buy them they all start wiggling and cooing at you. Every little girl would want to have one of these dolls they are so adorable! But eventually a phrase comes out that totally blows you away!! One of the phrases they are programed to say is "Islam is the light" I am not kidding!!! It is really freaky! FP denies the fact that the dolls say anything like that! They insist it is baby gurgle. You can watch this youtube clip if you wanna....the dolls voice has not been enhanced. It really says it clear as day! Next time you are in the toy dept you should check it out for yourself. You WILL be freaked out! lol

Last night i trained in soft lines. Another big dept! Woman's, men's, infants, boys, girls, shoes, bras, handbags and jewelry.....whew! Mostly i stayed in infants and women's. All night we just kept refolding, rehanging and putting stuff away. It was harder since in the toys the scanner would tell me the exact location of the item. In clothing, as far as i know, the scanner does not. It was frustrating trying to find where some of the stuff went. When actually it really didn't have a place so....I didn't mind working in infants, but woman's wasn't as much fun....I suppose once i learn the dept i would like it better...The ladies in soft lines really liked me and requested that they keep me! lol They said that i am really productive! :o) The store mgr said i did a very good job in infants!

Over all it is not too bad. Working here is so much nicer than at Joanns. Target is so laid back and nice about everything. (unlike Joanns) For instance, there was a problem with my schedule. I was scheduled on a day that i requested off. I talked to the scheduling lady and showed her where it said in my file that i needed the day off for my stamp class. I told her i could change my class to the next week if she could give me that day off instead. She was very nice about it and even apologized. Then she suggested that i turn in a request off slip instead, that way it is in the computer and she will see it each month. At Joanns requesting off was worse than getting a tooth pulled! lol And breaks! They allow you take your breaks! At joanns breaks were considered a privilege! (law or no law)
Also during your break you are allowed to shop if you want. (sounds dangerous!) lol I asked about that because at Joanns, only the mgr could ring you out and you had to have your bag stapled and kept at customer service. When your shift was over your bags and purse had to be inspected.
At target, anyone can ring you out and you can keep your packages to your locker. When you leave for the evening they smile and say "Thank you!" with a smile. Funny how being nice to your employees makes friendly employees.....
I am just hoping my back holds up! I have noticed after about 4.5-5 hours my back really starts to hurt! (last spring i had sciatica and found out i also have arthritis in my back) I hope it I can last through the season. I may have to request shorter shifts if it gets too bad.

With my training this week and being tired during the day for school, I have been very crabby! lol I haven't had much time to read blogs lately. I have the next two days off so i hope to catch up then. :o)

6 comments:

Mama Koch said...

Sounds like you found a good job and better people to work with than at JoAnn's. I'd let you come work in my office if you'd straighten up stuff too!

Carin said...

Sounds like it was exhasting!

Vickie said...

Are you tired?! I am after all of that work! Sounds like you don't have a minute to spare. I don't like that about the lip balm. How awful is that? Just think how much of that stuff the girls use! UGH! I'll have to go check that baby doll out. Sounds freaky to me. Take care of your back and have a nice two days off! I am way into wedding stuff!!!!

Connie W said...

I was at Target a few days ago and saw the "hiring" signs. Your job sounds like one that makes the day go faster because you're so busy. Best of luck with the new job.

Teresa said...

OH my ...that is terrible about the doll. I am going to send this to friends I know, and if I see this doll for sale at my Target, I am going to talk to management abou it.

Congratulations on your job, and I am so sorry to hear how misearbly Joanns treats its employees. We do not have one in my town, but I have been to them other places, and have commented to others that it is one of the most unfriendly stores everywhere I go. I usually just avoide them all together.

Lauriinnc said...

GASP! about the doll!

It sounds like working at Target will be much more enjoyable than JoAnns! Enjoy!