Tuesday, December 05, 2006

No new job...

Lol I had plenty of time last night to speak with the Mgr of Viking, while we stood outside in the freezing cold, while the fire dept took their grand old time responding to an alarm that went off at Joann's....she said they cannot take employees away from Joann's. I guess they used to but cant anymore. which is ok, cause the more i get to know her, the less i think i would want to work for her. She is the nicest woman, but! she could walk all over my personality! so I am happy at the cutting counter. I will find out in a few weeks if i am to be hired permanently or let go....I wasn't concerned about it before, but now that sales are horrid, i am worrying!
So back to the alarm.....When i left for work last night i asked dh "what are the chances i will need my sweater?" (Joann's is always toasty!) I decided to put it on under my jacket for the ride into work since dh's van does not have much heat. I am so glad i put it on....
You see, my dear Joann's is built not on a rock...but an old garbage dump! (sounds bad, i know!) For some reason last night the Methane gas alarm went off about 5pm. funny thing, the Mgr on duty didn't know what it was and the customers were annoyed with the noise the alarm was making cause it was hurting their ears!! After about 15 minutes of nothing being announced, the Mrg of Viking dept told the Mgr of Joanns what the noise was, and that she needed to evacuate the store....More annoyed customers! they wanted to take the time to check out first! :o~ Luckily We were allowed to get our coats since it was freezing out! No one but the Viking Mgr knew the evacuation plan! I went with her and the other Viking employee to the designated meeting area. Everyone else stood at the front door. After a while the other employee and i went and stood under the overhang of bed, bath &beyond. It was so cold!! Once the fire dept checked the building, and found no gas...they let us back in cause it was so cold. Eventually they let customers in too. the alarm went off for almost 2 hours before they got it turned off!! Boy, was it quiet when it finally quit! Needless to say, the night went by rather quickly! lol and all is well at Joann's, except sales.....

3 comments:

Presbytera said...

When I go to exercise in the morning (even this snowy morning) I wear shorts and a winter coat. I cover my legs in the van with a lap blanket. He wondered what would happen if I broke down between here and there. I simply answered, "I'll call you". Glad that you were somewhat prepared for the brrrr cold.

I'm glad that you have a few more hours at home but I know the $ will be missed. Look at it this way, there will be that much less stuff to work around in the house.

Marie N. said...

Hmmm, maybe it would be a good idea to figure out and post that evac. plan! Hopefully you won't need it anymore (or at least not until a nice sunny day in the spring).

Barb the Evil Genius said...

I just saw the Wal-Mart in that same plaza is now closed indefinitely! :0