Friday, October 06, 2006

My first day at Joann's

Wednesday was my first day at Joanns. It was fun, but it was a long day! I was so tired when I got home! lol We filled out a ton of paperwork and watched 2 training movies. Before we went on a scavenger hunt in the store we had to introduce ourselves. We were to tell our name and two things about ourselves. One true and one false. I started to panic because I am a terrible liar so I don't even try...Of course the woman sitting next to me was picked first which means I am second! So Donna introduces herself and tells about a previous job and then says she also used to be a pole dancer. It was obvious that Donna was not a pole dancer. Donna is an older, heavy set woman. lol So Donna's lie was easy. I thought about saying I am a terrible liar, but then they would think that was my lie and that I was a good liar and it would look bad! lol So being put on the spot I do my intro and say I have 5 children that I homeschool and I live in a mansion in Maple....Several women got a kick out of that one since they also live in one of those mansions. Dianne (the mgr) tells us we are doing it wrong! We are supposed to tell two things that would be believable. Her example was that she was with the Co. for 5 years and married for 10 years. Which is her lie? Well seeing as we don't know much about Dianne...Who knows!? So it was kind of a strange exercise being in a room of complete strangers trying to guess their lie. Then she tells us two people in the room have dogs named Theo and Webster. Who are they? Well how is anyone supposed to know!? I guess I just didn't get it....
So on to the scavenger hunt...It was a little training exercise to get us firmilar with the store. It gave a hint and you went to that dept and answered a few questions that were in the workbook. We did it as a group so I got to know the other ladies a bit more. At 1:30 we were divided up into our departments to do training. The woman that was going to train the 3 of us that will be working at the cutting counter was so excited! For 2 hours we toured the fabric department! I was so bored! I knew just about everything from being a customer! A few things I didn't know was that they carry fabric that cost $84.95, they also carry fabric to cover ironing boards or pot holders... I work tonight, so I hope to learn something new!
I have gotten a lot of work done on my applique quilt! I am not going to post any pictures yet! You will have to wait a little longer! The top will be done soon and then I will post a picture. After getting into it a bit more I started to like it more than before. I would consider doing another....Maybe! lol

3 comments:

skatey katie said...

well, boring or no...
there is MONEY involved!!!
another day, another dollar fifty :o)

Marie N. said...

I don't think I "get it" about the lying exercise either. Strange.

What kind of fabric, pray tell, does one buy for $84.95 (per yard?).

Do you like the fabric?

Have you figured out what your discount would be on that fabric!?!

debbie said...

Marie,
I have been looking for the fabric! I see the sign for it! I just can’t seem to find it! It is upholstery fabric...probably from Christopher Lowell. I will continue to look for it! lol